Yard Number 601 was named LETITIA when launched on Tuesday 14/10/1924 by Fairfield Govan for 1925-36 Anchor - Donaldson Ltd Glasgow
Ship Type: Passenger Vessel
Ship's Role: Transatlantic liner: Glasgow to Canada
Tonnage: 13475 grt
Length: 538 feet
Breadth: 66.3 feet
1925-36 Anchor - Donaldson Ltd, Glasgow
1936-46 Donaldson - Atlantic Line Ltd, Glasgow
1946-60 Ministry of Transport (Donaldson Bros & Black Ltd - Mngrs), Glasgow
Her main engines were built by Fairfield Govan , she was powered by 6 x Geared turbines by Brown-Curtis-Fairfield.
Twin Screw; 9,000 SHP; 15 knots service, max 16 knots.
3 Double & 2 Single Ended forced draught boilers supplying steam at max pressure 210lbs.
Other names she bore were: EMPIRE BRENT (1946). Her last recorded name was CAPTAIN COOK (1952)
LETITIA arrived for scrapping on 29/04/1960
Additional Information: Maiden voyage from Glasgow to Montreal on April 24, 1925. In 1939 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty and commisioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. She later became a troopship and was extensively damaged in 1943 and was temporarily repaired in the USA
In 1944 she was taken over by the Canadian Government and converted into a hospital ship
She was sold in 1946 to the Ministry of Transport and renamed EMPIRE BRENT.
While on route to Halifax in 1947, she collided with and sank the STORMONT in the River Mersey IN 1947.
She returned to her home river December 1947,overhauled and refitted as a troopship for voyages to India and the Far East until 1949
In that year she began an emigration service to Australia until later in 1950 when she was laid up for about six months but returned to perform the same role, this time to New Zealand with the new name CAPTAIN COOK and her ownership eventually passed to the New Zealand government
She commenced sailings from Glasgow via Panama to Wellington on 5th Feb.1952
She arrived at Glasgow February 1960 on her last voyage, laid up at Falmouth and sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation taken to Inverkeithing for breaking by T W Ward Ltd
Additional information from Joe McMillan Collection & Lloyds Register 1950_51.
Previous update by Bruce Biddulph
Photo supplied by Angus MacKinnon
Previous update by Gavin Stewart