Yard Number 453, was named KEEWATIN when launched on Saturday, 06/07/1907 by Fairfield Govan , for Canadian Pacific Railway Company .
As of 2013 KEEWATIN is a preserved ship
Ship Type: Passenger Vessel
Ship's Role: Lake Huro Lake Superior services
Tonnage: 3856 grt
Length: 336.5 feet
Breadth: 43.8 feet
Canadian Pacific Railway Company
R J Peterson of Douglas Michigan 1967
Additional Information: She left the Clyde 14th September 1907 and after discharging a cargo of drain pipes, was cut in half at Davie Shipyard, Levis, towed to Buffalo Dry Dock and re
joined. She was reduced to cargo only in 1965 and was then destined for the breakers.
However she was saved that fate and was set up as a static museum ship at Tower Marina in Douglas, Michigan after being purchased in 1967 by R J Peterson of Douglas Michigan. The Petersons looked after the ship since then until 2011 when she was purchased by another body who have taken her back to her homeport of Port McNicoll.
Visit Friends of Keewatin website,
Previous update by George Robinson