ss EMPIRE CARPENTER
Yard Number 440, was named EMPIRE CARPENTER when launched on Saturday, 21/11/1942 by Charles Connell & Company Scotstoun , for Ministry of War Transport.
Her main engines were built by David Rowan & Co Ltd Glasgow , she was powered by Three cylinder triple expansion steam engine, 2500ihp, single screw
Other names she bore were:
EMPIRE CARPENTER (1946)
APEX (1958). Her last recorded name was AFROS (1968)
EMPIRE CARPENTER arrived for scrapping on 17/03/1971
Ship Type: General Cargo Ship
Tonnage: 6706 gross; 4343 net; 10310 dwt
Length: 446ft 4in
Breadth: 56ft 4in
Draught: 27ft 3in
Ministry of War Transport
21/11/1942: Launched for the Ministry of War Transport, Hain Steamship Co appointed managers.
1944: Lease~lend to USSR, renamed DICKSON.
1946: Returned to MoWT, and reverted to original name. Managers now Petrinovic Steamship Co, London.
1947: Sold to Petrinovic Steamship Co, London and renamed PETFRANO.
1955: Sold to Cia de Nav Ampia, Panama and renamed AMIPA.
1958: Sold to Cia Maritima Apex, Panama and renamed APEX.
1968: Renamed AFROS.
1970: Sold to Campos Shipping Co, Cyprus.
03/1971: Sold to breakers at Shanghai.
Previous updates by Paul Strathdee and by Colin Campbell. Additional information, with thanks, from George Robinson.
Photo supplied by G Robinson
Previous update by John Newth