sv WILD DEER
built by Charles Connell & Company Scotstoun in 1863
sv WILD DEER
built by Charles Connell & Company Scotstoun,
Yard No 13
Port of Registry: Glasgow
Propulsion: Sail. 3 masts
Launched: Saturday, 12/12/1863
Ship Type: Composite ship
Ship's Role: Cargo.
Tonnage: 1016 g
Length: 211 feet
Breadth: 33.2 feet
Draught: Depth 20.7 feet
Albion Shipping Co, Glasgow.
Later, Shaw, Savill & Albion Co Ltd (mng, James Galbraith).
Status: Wrecked - 12/01/1883
O.N. 48652. The initial port of registry was London and the vessel was ordered by Walkers of London. Most sources state, or imply, that the Albion Shipping Company was the first owner but that is unproven.
She was built with iron ribs, wood planking to above waterline then iron topsides.
Originally a tea clipper, although she carried passengers on her maiden voyage 6 Dec 1863, then after 1871 entered the New Zealand emigrant trade.
Sailing from Glasgow for Port Chalmers on her twelfth voyage and carrying over two hundred passengers, she went ashore on North Rock, off Cloughey, County Down, 12 Jan 1883. Amazingly, no lives were lost. The master, Captain Kerr, had his certificate suspended for three months.
Previous update by Bruce Biddulph
Previous update by Colin Campbell
Photo supplied by John Ward~McQuaid
Last updated: by Bruce Allan from the original records by Stuart Cameron