built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow in 1931
built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow,
Yard No 535 Engines by the shipbuilder
Last Name: CARTHAGE MARU (1961)
Port of Registry: London
Propulsion: Six steam turbines, single~reduction geared to twin screws, 14000 shp, 18 knots.
Launched: Tuesday, 18/08/1931
Ship Type: Passenger Liner
Ship's Role: London/Bombay and China service
Tonnage: 14304 gross; 7810 net; 8898 dwt
Length: 552ft 6in
Breadth: 71ft 5in
Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company London
Status: Scrapped - 15/06/1961
Originally to have been named CANTON.
Launched by Miss Jean Shaw, daughter of Hon. Alexander Shaw, P&O Deputy Chairman.
26/11/1931: Ran trials.
She could carry 177 First Class and 214 Second Class passengers.
08/01/1932: Maiden voyage London / Suez / Aden / Colombo / Penang / Singapore / Hong Kong / Shanghai / Kobe / Yokohama.
14/02/1932: Shelled (but not hit) by Chinese troops while berthed in Shanghai, during operations by the Japanese to capture the city. Her doctor gave assistance on shore.
04/1932: Single voyage on Australian service.
17/09/1939: Requisitioned by the Admiralty. Discharged passengers and cargo at Colombo before sailing to Calcutta for conversion to an armed merchant cruiser. Fitted with eight 6~inch and two 3~inch guns.
20/12/1939: Commissioned. Served in the Indian Ocean on convoy escort duties.
03/11/1941: Unit of a force intercepting Vichy French ships southwest of Madagascar. Towed immobolised CAP PADARAN 36 miles to Port Elizabeth.
04/1942: Refitted at Southampton, during which time had a serious fire in No. 4 hold.
07/1942: Refit completed.
08/1942: Returned to Indian Ocean.
24/11/1942: Rescued four Indian seamen survivors from torpedoed BI steamer TILAWA.
29/10/1943: Decommissioned at Swansea. Sailed to Norfolk, Virginia for conversion to a troopship.
30/12/1943: Conversion completed. Further service from Calcutta.
27/02/1947: Returned to builders for refit. Aft funnel removed, forward funnel lengthened. Now painted white with buff funnel. 181 1st class, 213 tourist passengers.
06/07/1948: Resumed Far East service, now terminating at Hong Kong.
05/1960: Management and operation transferred to P&O~Orient Lines.
13/02/1961: Last arrival at King George V Dock. Sold to Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Osaka, for cargo voyage as CARTHAGE MARU before demolition.
28/02/1961: Sailed from London.
15/06/1961: Demolition begun by Miyachi Salvage Co. Ltd., at Sakai, Japan.
Photo supplied by William Hutton.
Previous updates by John Newth, George Robinson, Paul Strathdee
Last updated: by Bruce Allan from the original records by Stuart Cameron
: ss CARTHAGE built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow
Supplied by David Asprey
Supplied by Paul Strathdee collection showing her on trials as originally completed.
Supplied by Rich Turnwald Collection