Clydesite Home Clydebuilt Home Launched Today On This Day Clyde AIS
Sample Results


































































































































































































































































































Yard No. 675
tss ARCADIA



Yard Number 675 was named ARCADIA when launched on Thursday 14/05/1953 by John Brown Clydebank for Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company

Ship Particulars:
Built: 1954
Ship Type: Passenger Liner
Ship's Role: UK/Australia service, and cruising
Tonnage: 29734 gross; 16421 net; 10646 dwt
Length: 721ft 4in overall; 668ft 0in bp
Breadth: 90ft 8in
Draught: 31ft 0in

Owner History:
Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company


Her main engines were built by the shipbuilder , she was powered by 6 impulse reaction geared steam turbines driving two shafts, 42500shp, 22 knots. Her last recorded name was ARCADIA

ARCADIA was scrapped on 30/04/1979

Additional Information:
28/06/1951: Keel Laid.
14/05/1953: Launched by Mrs D F Anderson, wife of the Deputy Chairman of P&O (later Sir Donald Anderson).
20/01/1954: Completed. Sailed for the Mersey for drydocking.
26/01/1954: Ran trials on the Clyde.
30/01/1954: Delivered. She cost £6,664,000. As built she could carry 670 First Class and 735 Tourist Class passengers.
22/02/1954: Maiden voyage Tilbury/Australia via Suez.
04/06/1954: First cruises from Southampton.
30/12/1957: Several passengers and crew injured in gales in the Bay of Biscay.
01/04/1959: Arrived at Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for £500,000 refit including full airconditioning.
11/06/1959: Refit completed.
11/1959: First Pacific cruises. First cruise ship to call at Picton on South Island, New Zealand.
05/1960: Management and operation transferred to P&O Orient Lines.
01/1961: Ran aground for two hours off Okahu Island, Hawaii.
02/1963: Engine trouble leading to two day delay in Bombay.
1966: Managers and operators restyled P&O Lines.
12/1968: Clearance obtained from US authorities to make scheduled cruises from the USA to the Caribbean.
04/1970: Refitted by Thornycroft, Southampton. Mainmast removed and foremast shortened by 18 feet to clear low cables in Alaskan harbours. The first large ship to cruise on the Alaskan coast.
01/10/1971: Management and operation transferred to P&O Passenger Division.
06/1973: Converted to 1,350 berth open class configuration.
17/05/1975: Sailed to Australia to replace HIMALAYA on the Australian station.
1977: Management and operation transferred to P&O Cruises Ltd.
29/01/1979: Sailed from Sydney on her last cruise via Brisbane, Rabaul and Hong Kong to Singapore. Passengers transferred to SEA PRINCESS at Singapore on 17/02/1979.
27/02/1979: Sold for breaking up through Nissho Iwai Company, Tokyo, to Lee Chang Steel and Iron Works, Taiwan.
28/02/1979: Arrived at Kaohsiung.
30/04/1979: Demolition commenced.
Previous updates by Colin Campbell,Bruce Biddulph and John Newth
Previous update by George Robinson