Yard No. 258
ps GLEN SANNOX

built by J & G Thomson Clydebank in 1892

(GLEN SANNOX)

ps GLEN SANNOX

Yard Number 258, was named GLEN SANNOX when launched on Saturday, 26/03/1892 by J & G Thomson Clydebank , for Glasgow & South Western Railway Co., Glasgow .

GLEN SANNOX was scrapped on 1925

Ship Particulars:
Built: 1892
Ship Type: Paddle Steamer
Ship's Role: Mainly the Arran run
Tonnage: 610 grt
Length: 260.5 feet
Breadth: 30.1 feet
Owner History:
Glasgow & South Western Railway Co., Glasgow
1923 London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company

Additional Information: Despite plans for her to do excursions from Gourock she was scrapped at Port Glasgow
Previous update by Bruce Biddulph

In June 1896 eminent scientists from around the world met in Glasgow to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Professor William Thomson, First Baron Kelvin of Largs, being appointed to the Chair of Natural Philosophy at the University of Glasgow. By this time Lord Kelvin was a world renowned academic and practical business man in science and technology. After vast banquets at the University and City Chambers on the 15th and 16th of June, Wednesday 17th June saw 250 delegates join Lord & Lady Kelvin on special trains from Glasgow’s St. Enoch Station bound for Greenock Princes Pier. There they boarded the Glasgow & South Western Railway Company’s paddle steamer Glen Sannox for a cruise on the Firth of Clyde. The steamer’s route passed the Ayrshire town of Largs where Kelvin had, in 1875, built his country house “Netherhall” and from which he had taken the territorial part of his title of Baron Kelvin of Largs. The student body was not to be outdone and had also chartered a paddle steamer, this time the rival North British Railway’s Jeanie Deans, for their own celebratory Clyde cruise from Craigendoran.

Previous update by George Robinson