Yard No. 1474P

built by A & J Inglis Pointhouse Glasgow in 1953



Yard Number 1474P, was named MAID OF THE LOCH when launched on Thursday, 05/03/1953 by A & J Inglis Pointhouse Glasgow , for British Transport Commission .

Her main engines were built by Rankin & Blackmore, Greenock , she was powered by Steam Compound Diagonal 2cyl (HP 24", LP 48" x 51" stroke), 69nhp 900ihp, 13¾knots / Navy type boiler supplying max pressure 120lbs (removed & scrapped 1996) / Generating Plant 2 x 10kW@110Vdc / Max bunker capacity 17.5 tons heavy fuel oil.

As of 2014 MAID OF THE LOCH is preserved and enjoys a static role

Ship Particulars:
Built: 1953
Ship Type: Passenger Vessel
Ship's Role: Loch Lomond service
Tonnage: 555grt, 295net, 63dwt
Length: 208 feet
Breadth: 51 feet
Draught: 4 feet 6
Owner History:
British Transport Commission
1957 Caledonian Steam Packet Co Ltd, Glasgow
19xx W Alexander & Son (Midland) Ltd.
1976 Caledonian MacBrayne Holdings Ltd, Gourock
1979 Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd, Gourock
1982 Maid of the Loch Ltd (Ind Coope Group), Edinburgh
1989 Francis Group Ltd, Gateshead (mng Alloa Brewery Co Ltd, Edinburgh)
1992 Dumbarton District Council
1995 Loch Lomond Steamship Co, Balloch

Additional Information:
ON 184956
Last paddle steamer to be built in a Clyde shipyard.

Dismantled at Pointhouse and reassembled at Balloch.

Currently at Balloch pier as a static attraction, her owners announced in 2012 their intention of having her steaming on the loch again in 2013 but this failed to materialise. Currently there are plans for a new visitor attraction on the pier itself and the owners are still looking to raise £1million for a new boiler.

Previous updates by Paul Strathdee, Gavin Stewart, Stuart Cameron, David Asprey
Photo supplied by Stuart Cameron