Yard No. 76
ss AVA

built by Tod & McGregor Glasgow in 1855

(AVA)

ss AVA

Yard Number 76, was named AVA when launched on Thursday, 03/05/1855 by Tod & McGregor Glasgow , for Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company.

Her main engines were built by Shipbuilders , she was powered by Two cylinder geared trunk steam engine, 1056 ihp, single screw, 12 knots.

She was wrecked on 16/02/1858

Ship Particulars:
Built: 1855
Ship Type: Passenger Liner, Iron hull
Ship's Role: Southampton/Alexandria and then Suez/Calcutta services.
Tonnage: 1613 gross; 934 net
Length: 267ft 8in
Breadth: 35ft 3in
Owner History:
Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company

Additional Information:
03/05/1855: Launched.
29/06/1855: Registered.
21/07/1855: Ran trials and delivered.
20/08/1855: Left Southampton on maiden voyage to Alexandria, but broke a screw blade and towed to Malta by the paddle packet HMS MEDUSA, mails and passengers forwarded to Alexandria aboard Valetta.
01/10/1856: Left Southampton via Tristan da Cunha and Galle to Calcutta (arrived 16 December).
09/1856: Collided with Teignmouth brig BLANCHE and lost a quarter boat.
03/09/1857: Left Calcutta on Lord Elgin’s mission to China.
07/12/1857: Returned to Calcutta where apparently unemployed until 10 February 1858.
16/02/1858: Wrecked on Pigeon Island, 15 miles north of Trincomalee while en route from Calcutta to Suez with women and children refugees from the Indian Mutiny. She was to call at Trincomalee to land £250,000 in specie but her Captain failed to take soundings or to heave to in poor weather. There were no casualties, and most of the specie and (more importantly) a replacement shaft for ALMA, disabled at Aden, were recovered by divers from the steam frigate HMS CHESAPEAKE.

Previous update by Paul Strathdee
Previous update by John Newth